Wednesday, April 11, 2012

A Parents Job.

Being a parent is a pretty big job to undertake and it unfortunately doesn't come with a guide book. With the Internet, I feel like I at least have some resources for figuring out what the heck I am supposed to do. However, I sometimes find myself freaking out about what to do in a certain situation. I sometimes feel like if I make this one minor choice for him now, it will forever affect the rest of his life. 
For instance, for a while Jack was having a hard time sleeping in his crib at night. I am adamant about not having him sleep with us because
A) it seems like a hard habit to break
B) I wouldn't get any sleep which gets ugly
C) Our Pomeranian already takes up too much room.
D) All of the Above!!
I was so worried about letting him sleep in the swing because I feared he would forever have a hard time sleeping by himself or soothing himself to sleep. In the end, I figured out that I as the momma, have to do what's neccesary in order to function and to get some sleep.

So with me being in control as his parent, I am forced to make all these decisions about his daily life and also what role I am going to play in it. I came across this quote on a mommy facebook page the other day and have been letting it sit on my desktop as I ponder it.
 


I have a feeling some people will not agree with this statement but I love it. I want to, of course, keep Jack safe; however I don't want to always protect him from everything unpleasant in the world. Having the knowledge of what is out there and how to handle it when it comes your way will help you to be successful and independent.
How else are children going to be strong, independent, decision making, thriving individuals in society on their own if you have made all their choices and protected them from the "bad" things?!?
I love the fact that my parents let me make my own choices-good or bad. Then if they weren't the most desirable of choices, I still had to face the situation and cope with it. I also had a chore list everyday during the Summer while my mom and dad worked. While I hated seeing the jobs such as "picking the tomatoes and green beans" on my list, I am glad they made me do chores. They built character, kept me out of trouble, taught me how to be responsible and helpful, to take initiative and more importantly made me who I am now which I believe is a hard working, loving, smart mommy!

Let's just hope I get this right and raise Jack to have some of the same qualities.

Guess I better plant a garden so he can "pick the tomatoes" HAHA.
Isn't that what kids are for? They can do all the jobs you don't like to do :)

1 comment: