Sunday, May 29, 2011

Project: Starburst Mirrors

Two blog entries in one day..     Aren't you lucky ;)

Well I finally finished one of the projects off my to-do list for the past several months.

Before I forget, here is the link to the original project that inspired me: Starburst Mirror

Supplies Needed:
  • Mirrors: I used 10 inch ones (bought at Jo-Ann near wedding decor, candle table centerpieces)
  • Glue Gun
  • Wooden Skewers (bought at Walmart for super cheap)
  • Paint for coloring the sticks at the end (I used small bottles of acrylic paint but suggest spray painting them so that it goes MUCH faster)
Next Step:
I divided the back of each mirror into 8 pie pieces to help with spacing out where I glue the skewers. I also (if you look real close) made three circles by tracing three different sized Tupperware lids so that I knew which height to glue the skewers. The middle one extends to the middle of the mirror. Then go up a traced circle ring for each skewer that follows. Probably easier to understand by looking at the picture.
The Finshed Project: (Pre-Painting)


Last steps:
I painted by hand the sticks. I would highly suggest covering the mirror and spray painting the sticks however due to being pregnant I didn't think spray paint was a good thing to breathe in. Therefore, I spent the past two days painting these sticks. (Not my favorite)
I also attached a string to the back of the mirror so they could hang.

P.S. Do not drop a skewer off the counter onto your toe. It will bleed :( On the bright side, it gave me a chance to sport a cute Hello Kitty band-aid ;)


The Final Result!!


Pretty awesome for a cheap project, right? I could not be more proud of the project and can finally feel like the basement is done being decorated....

1 comment: