Monday, June 13, 2011

A Mother's Poem to her Baby.

While checking over all the blogs I read, I came across a mother that had reached her due date and had yet to make any progress towards meeting her little one. She wrote a poem to her baby in anticipation for her arrival. It is the most beautiful letter I have ever read, partly because it is so much of what I feel yet was unable to write it like that. Enjoy!

Her link: http://summerharms.blogspot.com/

Here is a copy of the letter she wrote since the link isn't directly to that entry.

dear baby

today is your due date! this day has been looming in my mind for so long that it has felt almost hypothetical. like when we reached it the world might just stop. but that day is real. it's here. i woke up and ate cheerios with granola. i gave your daddy a kiss. i checked the weather and facebook. i took a shower. i'm celebrating by doing normal things. because even though it's here, you're still in there- not to put any pressure on you. i'm done counting days! i'll just be patient until you're ready. i know life must be pretty sweet, sharing chipotle burritos with me. i wouldn't want to leave either.

but just so you know, i'm ready for you. the house is clean, laundry is caught up, diapers are standing by, meals are in the freezer, and my commitments are none. all i have to do is eat and drink and sleep until you come! speaking of which, i wonder when i will get caught by you. what will i be in the middle of when you decide it's time? i'm trying to stay on top of my showering, just in case.

there are so many things i need to get down before it's too late and you're not inside me anymore. i can't imagine that right now, but i know some morning soon i will wake up and be a little freaked out that yes, the bump really is gone. (and i will be able to see your face instead!) i have loved the curve you created in my figure. i love to take extra time staring at this stomach, trying to figure out the miracle. i've loved communicating with you through the funny barrier of my skin. i love to run my fingers over the firmness and picture you waking up from my touch. i love to talk to you every morning while we lay in bed, and ask you if you'll come today?

i've loved the shiver of your stretches, the mystery appendage that pokes my left side, the pressure from your burrowing head, the throb of your tiny hiccups, the lump of your bum pushing straight out in front.. you are so amazing to feel. no one else gets to know you like this. no one else gets to have this time with you. i will savor it until the end.

it's crazy how close we are to meeting. you'd think i'd have a better idea of what you will be like on the outside, but i am stumped. completely. come show me! all i know for sure is that it's going to be miraculous. our tiny family will be three. because you're ours! our baby. 
who i get to meet any. minute. now.

i love you,
your mom

BEAUTIFUL! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment